James Alpheus Glen DSC (2) was born at Boissevain Manitoba and was educated at a college in Oregon USA. He considered Enderby British Columbia, his home town. In December 1915, Glen joined the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) in Canada and went overseas.

On 9 April 1916 he completed his training as a pilot at Chingford and Eastport England. Glen was posted to No. 3 Naval Wing, the first strategic aerial force formed specifically for the long range bombing of Germany. Equipped with Sopwith Strutter single and twin seater fighters and bombers, the wing was based at Luxeuil-les-Bains in France, south of Nancy, only sixty miles west of the Rhine river. The objective of the initial raid, undertaken on 30 July 1916, jointly with the 4th French Bomber Group, was to hit gasoline stores at Mulheim.

In February 1917 he was posted to the RNAS establishment at Dunkirk France. In July 1918 Flight Lieutenant Glen was awarded the Croix de Guerre avec Palme for carrying out bombing raids while assisting the French Army in the defence of Verdun. He was wounded in 1917 and recovered. In April 1918 Flight Lieutenant Glen was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) in connection with exceptional gallantry and skill displayed on July 7th 1917, when he destroyed one enemy aircraft and shared in the destruction of another.

In June 1917 Captain Glen was awarded a second DSC in recognition of his exceptional gallantry and skill as a Flight Leader and in recognition of his score of five enemy aircraft destroyed.

After the end of WW 1, Glen was posted to the Camp Borden Ont. Training Depot with the rank of Squadron Leader. He returned to the UK in 1922 and from September 1924 to the summer of 1927 was attached to the Training Directorate of the Air Ministry in Britain. In March 1928 he was placed on the Air Ministry retired list.