Arthur Eyguem De Montaigne Jarvis DFC was born at Napanee Ontario, (ON) son of Reverend and Mrs. Canon Jarvis.

At the outbreak of WW 1, Arthur Jarvis was enrolled in a science course at Technical High School, Toronto ON but enlisted as a private in the Queen’s Own Rifles and was soon overseas at the Western Front in France.

By the summer of 1915, the war on the Western Front had stalemated into one of attrition. After the second Battle of Ypres there followed sporadic frontal attacks on both sides without any result other than the slaughter of tens of thousands of men. Conditions were appalling. The troops lived in the squalor and dankness of the trenches, sometimes knee deep in water and mud.

From July 1, 1916, to December 30, 1916, Canadians along with the French and other Allies were involved in the "Slaughter of the Somme", also called the Battle of the Somme. For a pitiable gain of only six miles, 836,000 soldiers were killed, including Germans and 24,029 Canadians.

By the beginning of 1917, a brief respite ensued while plans were laid for an Allied seizure of the formidable German fortification of Vimy Ridge.

At 5:00 in the morning on April 9, 1917, Canadian forces, in driving snow and sleet and under a barrage of artillery fire, began their assault on Vimy Ridge. An hour later they had taken the first line of enemy trenches and by mid afternoon had captured the crest of Vimy Ridge except for two positions which fell three days later. More than 4,000 prisoners were taken, some of them found chained to their machine guns.

While attached to the 38th Battalion, Jarvis was wounded on April 16, 1917.

On October 30, 1917 in the mud and driving rain, Canadians carried out their assault on the Ridge at Passchendaele and captured it by November 10th. The cost had been horrific: Approximately 16,000 casualties, all for a paltry ground gain of four and one half miles. Prime Minister Churchill called it "a forlorn expenditure of valour and life without equal in futility."

On 27 December 1917 Jarvis was seconded for duty with the Royal Flying Corps which became the Royal Air Force on 1 April 1918. During the next seven months, Lieutenant Arthur Jarvis and his observer destroyed at least four enemy aircraft and on 2 November 1918 he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) for his skill and bravery.

The government of France recognized his achievements by decorating him with the "Croix de Guerre with Palm." Jarvis had two brothers who served during WW 1.

After WW 1 and before WW2 Jarvis was employed as a pilot with different companies. In September 1930 he was married at Barrie ON. On 18 December 1939, Jarvis was appointed to the RCAF with the rank of Flight Lieutenant. In March 1943 he was promoted to Acting Squadron Leader.