Dennis Garland Malloy DFC was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia. As a young high school athlete in Halifax, "Bud" Malloy was known for his athletic ability and setting records in rugby, hockey, weightlifting and track and field.

On September 9, 1939 he enlisted in the RCAF in Halifax and after receiving air crew instruction at various training schools in Canada, he graduated as a pilot, from No. 2 Service Flying Training School at Ottawa (Uplands) airport. After pilot training he took a "Flying Instructor's" course and returned to Ottawa (Uplands) to serve as an instructor until transferred overseas in January 1942.

Following operational training in England, Malloy was posted to No. 402 (Winnipeg Bears) Squadron, Fighter Command. By January 18, 1943, he had completed more than 60 missions during his tour of operation with that squadron, flying Spitfire aircraft and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) for his skill and valour. His citation reads as follows:

"Squadron Leader Malloy has participated in sixty sorties. He is an outstanding leader whiose skill and devotion to duty have set an example worthy of high praise."

In combat with the enemy he had the following score:

July-15-1942:  1/6 FW 190 - Destroyed

August-27-1942:  1 FW 190 Damaged

September-6-1942:  1 FW 190 Probably Destroyed

January-17-1943:  1 FW 190 Destroyed

February-26-1943:  1/2 FW 190 Damaged

Malloy was repatriated to Canada in October 1943 and returned to Ottawa (Uplands) as a Flight Commander and instructor. At this time he received a "commendation" for valuable services in the air.

Early in 1944, he transferred to Air Force Headquarters, Ottawa, where he remained until August 1945, when he was appointed Commanding Officer at RCAF Station, Camp Borden, Ontario. In 1948 he took command of the Fighter Operational Training Unit at St. Hubert, Quebec and later was attached to Air Defence Headquarters in Montreal.

In December 1950, Malloy returned to RCAF Station Uplands as Commanding Officer, a post he held until April 1953 and where he supervised the formation of four Sabre jet squadrons. In January 1954 Malloy became Staff Officer for Operations and Training at RCAF Headquarters, Metz, France and in May the same year returned to Canada to assume a similar position at Air Defence Headquarters, St. Hubert, Quebec.

In November 1956 he was transferred to Gimli, Manitoba as Officer Commanding No. 3 Advanced Flying School. He remained at Gimli until May 1960 when he moved to 25 NORAD Region Headquarters at Seattle, Washington.

By July 1964 he held the rank of Group Captain and was Commanding Officer of RCAF Station, Goose Bay.