John Joseph Malone DSO was born at Caledon, Ontario (ON) and lived in Regina, Saskatchewan before attending Curtiss Flying School in Toronto, ON. On July 15, 1916, he received the Royal Aero Club certificate and was appointed probationary Flight Sub-Lieutenant, in the Royal Naval Air Service, on the same date.

On August 27, 1916, he was based at Crystal Palace in the UK. On September 30, 1916 he was based at Chingford UK. On November 13, 1916, he was posted to No. 3 Wing. On December 4, 1916 he was based at Dunkirk, France with No. 3 Naval Squadron. Effective November 7, 1916, Malone was "Mentioned in Despatches" for distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty.

On April 24, 1917, Malone was flying his Sopwith Pup on patrol when two of his flight managed to cripple a German two seater. Malone cut off the enemy as the enemy was heading for the German lines. Malone forced the enemy plane down just inside British lines. Then his own engine quit compelling him to land his Sopwith Pup right beside the downed enemy plane. Then because of shelling from enemy lines, they had to take cover.

Eventually Malone escorted his prisoner back to the British squadron mess hall where over drinks they had a discussion about their aerial combat. The German pilot told his captors that he too had been wounded but not as badly as his observer who died from his wounds.

Near the end of April, 1917, Malone had run up a score of eight enemy planes destroyed and was recommended for the Distinguished Service Order (DSO). The citation read as follows:

"For successfully attacking and bringing down hostile aircraft on numerous occasions. At about 6:30 a.m. on April 23, 1917, while on patrol, he attacked a hostile scout and drove it down out of control. He then attacked a second scout which turned over on its back and went down through the clouds.

A third scout, attacked by him from a distance of about twenty yards, descended immediately out of control. While engaging a fourth machine he ran out of ammunition, so he returned to the advanced flying field, replenished his supply, and at once returned and attacked another hostile formation, one of which he forced down out of control. On the afternoon of April 24, 1917, he engaged a hostile two-seater and after badly wounding the observer, forced it to land on our side of the front lines."

However, the award of the DSO had to be made posthumously, as Malone was killed in an aerial dog fight on April 30, 1917.