Stanley Harwood McCuaig MC KC LLD was born at Bainsville, Ontario (ON). He was educated at Williamstown ON and at Queen’s University, Kingston ON.

After the outbreak of WW1, McCuaig enlisted the Canadian Field Artillery and was soon at the Western Front in France. By the summer of 1915, the war on the Western Front had stalemated into one of attrition. After the second Battle of Ypres there followed sporadic frontal attacks on both sides without any result other than the slaughter of tens of thousands of men. Conditions were appalling. The troops lived in the squalor and dankness of the trenches, sometimes knee deep in water and mud.

From July 1, 1916, to December 30, 1916, Canadians along with the French and other Allies were involved in the "Slaughter of the Somme", also called the Battle of the Somme. For a pitiable gain of only six miles, 836,000 soldiers were killed, including Germans and 24,029 Canadians.

By the beginning of 1917, the Canadian Corps (four divisions), had moved north from the Somme, to the Artois Plain entrenching itself on a line running from Ecurie to Souchez. A brief respite ensued while plans were laid for an Allied seizure of the formidable German fortification of Vimy Ridge.

At 5:00 in the morning on April 9, 1917, Canadian forces, in driving snow and sleet and under a barrage of artillery fire, began their assault on Vimy Ridge. An hour later they had taken the first line of enemy trenches and by mid afternoon had captured the crest of Vimy Ridge except for two positions which fell three days later. More than 4,000 prisoners were taken, some of them found chained to their machine guns.

On October 30, 1917 in the mud and driving rain, Canadians carried out their assault on the Passchendaele Ridge and captured it by November 10th. The cost had been horrific: Approximately 16,000 casualties, all for a paltry ground gain of four and one half miles.

The outcome of the war was still in doubt when at 5:00 a.m. on March 21st, 1918, through a blanket of heavy white fog, 64 German divisions attacked the Allied line on a 54 mile front between St. Quentin and Arras. As part of a three pronged drive, it aimed at splitting the British and French armies and gaining a quick victory before the American presence on the Western Front could be felt. It succeeded in advancing to within 10 miles of Amiens and reaching the Marne River 40 miles from Paris, but by the beginning of June the drive had petered out and the Allies were counterattacking all along the line.

Prior to war’s end, McCuaig received the Military Cross (MC) for conspicuous gallantry in action.

Postwar he was called to the Bar of Alberta. In due course he became a partner in the law firm, McCuaig, Desrochers, Beckingham & McDonald in Edmonton. He received an Honorary LLD from Queen’s University. In September 1919, he married Mary Elizabeth Rutherford. They had two sons and two daughters.