Graham David Robertson DFC QC LLB was born at Toronto Ontario (ON), son of Dr. David Edwin Robertson of Toronto and Pauline (Ivey) Robertson of London ON. He was educated at Upper Canada College, Toronto and Queen's University, Kingston ON. On April 13th 1940, Robertson enlisted in the RCAF in Toronto and received air crew instruction at various training schools in Canada, graduating as a pilot from No. 2 Service Flying Training School at Ottawa (Uplands) on November 29th 1940.

He was posted overseas on December 16th 1940 and was first posted to No. 402 Squadron RCAF. Later, on June 12th 1942 he was posted to No. 411 Squadron. On August 5th 1944, he completed his second tour of operations. During his many missions as a reconnaissance and intruder pilot, he was responsible for the destruction of a large number of enemy vehicles, including railway trains, and destroyed four enemy aircraft. For his courage in these achievements against the enemy, he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) and on August 18th 1944 was repatriated back to Canada.

Robertson began his postwar career with the International Harvester Company in Hamilton ON and rose to become President and Board Chairman of Fedquip Inc., a heavy contruction logging and mining equipment firm in Toronto. In May 1943 he married Jeanne S. Bunyan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George F. Bunyan. They had 2 daughters; Mrs. Jennifer McKay and Deborah Burt Robertson.