Robert Allan Kipp DSO DFC was born in Kamloops, British Columbia (BC), son of Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Kipp.

On June 27, 1940, he enlisted in the RCAF in Vancouver BC. He received air crew instruction at Windsor and Kingston, Ontario (ON) and graduated as a pilot on March 24, 1941. Next he attended instructor school at Trenton ON. Later, he instructed at No. 11 Service Flying Training School at Yorkton, Saskatchewan.

On March 17, 1943, he arrived overseas in the UK and after receiving further training was posted on November 2, 1943, to No. 418 (City of Edmonton) Squadron, Fighter Command, stationed at Ford in Surrey, England.

Fighter Command pilots were engaged in intruder sweeps south and east across the Channel to the coast of France, to strike inland at various chosen targets such as a factory, a railroad junction, an airfield and sometimes a power station.

They would spray barges and freight trains, flak posts and soldiers at drill, with their machine guns and cannon. By this daily offensive, the RCAF compelled the German Air Force to maintain in western Europe, large numbers of fighters which could otherwise be used to support the German army in its campaign against Russia.

Fighter Command aircraft also attacked enemy ship convoys, as well as escorting bombers on daylight raids.

On the night of February 18/19, 1944, Kipp destroyed two ME-410 fighter-bombers trying to return to their base following a 200 plane raid on London.

On May 2, 1944, while piloting a Mosquito aircraft deep into southern Germany, Kipp shot down four FW-190 enemy planes in one night. He was the first in the RCAF to destroy that many planes in the same night. For his skill and gallantry in that achievement, Kipp was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC).

By July 1944 he had destroyed 13 enemy aircraft and damaged three, and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO).

Taken off operations at this time, Kipp was assigned various staff duties until the end of the war, including duties as liaison officer attached to the US Army Air Force.

At the end of the war Squadron Leader Kipp resigned from the RCAF but in 1946 he re-enlisted. On January 4, 1949, Kipp was given command of 410 Squadron, based at St. Hubert, Quebec, the first regular force unit to be formed since WW 2 and the first to be equipped with Vampire jet fighters.

Kipp was killed in a plane crash in July 1949, while practising low level aerobatics for the Canadian International Air Show.

He was survived by his parents and his wife, the former Nancy Adela Whitfield of Nelson BC.