Arthur Treloar Whealy DSC(2) DFC was born in Toronto, Ontario, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.S.A. Whealy. When he enlisted, in 1916 in the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS), he was in his second year as a medical student at the University of Toronto. Whealy was a graduate of the Curtis Flying School in Toronto and Newport News, Virginia, U.S., and on 9 February 1916 joined the RNAS as a probationary Flight Sub-Lieutenant.

After arriving overseas in February 1916, he was at different times, posted to Portsmouth, Chingford, and Eastchurch UK. Later, in 1916, he joined 3 Naval Wing, a strategic bombing force located in southern France, where he made one bombing raid into Germany before the Wing was disbanded.

He was then posted to No. 203 Squadron flying Sopwith Pup scouts. In July 1917 he became a Flight Commander with 203 Squadron flying Sopwith Camels.

On April 16, 1918 Whealy was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC). His citation reads as follows:

"For the most conspicuous determination, bravery and skill with which he has carried numerous low flying harassing attacks on the enemy’s troops, transports etc., inflicting heavy casualties and damage. By his splendid example and gallantry a great many hostile operations were hampered and frustrated. Furthermore, he has brought down many enemy machines."

On June 21, 1918, Whealy was awarde a second DSC. His citation reads as follows:

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He has proved himself to be a brilliant fighting pilot. Under his able and determined leadership his flight has engaged and accounted for many enemy machines, he himself being responsible for many of these." Since June 1918 when he was awarded his first DSC, he personally destroyed seven enemy aircraft.

Shortly after the end of WW1, Whealy as a member of the Royal Air Force (RAF) was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC). In April 1918, the RNAS and the Royal Flying Corps had merged to become the RAF.

By the end of WW1, Whealy had accumulated 521 hours flown on operations, one of the highest records of time spent in combat of any pilot in WW1 and was credited with destroying a total of 21 &1/2 German aircraft.

After an exceptionally long tour he was taken off operations in September 1918.

He died in December 1945, in St. Marguerite, Quebec.